I also have some old tutorials here that you might find useful, as well as a bunch of brushes.
- Script-fu package update - 52nd releaseMonday, 04/05/2021:
Some fixes and additions
Blur Non-Edges working again, for the time being :-)
Add Pointer script expanded/changed..... needs more files in /scripts/images -- so pay attention if updating. And a few other tweaks.
- Script-fu package update - 51st releaseThursday, 07/16/2020:
...a long time coming
waiting for GIMP to shore up some changes to GTK for things to work. Tested all in GIMP-2.10.20. A deletion (remove all settings), an addition (Edges_Blur-and-Shadow) and a change from Sketch_Pen-Drawing, to (Sketch_Neon-Marker).
- RE:Now-Working Scripts :-)Wednesday, 06/17/2020:
Any script using "BROWSE",
is now WORKING in GIMP 2.10.20.
For those who are interested, the support files I tested with are:
- RE:Non-Working ScriptsTuesday, 04/21/2020:
Any script using "BROWSE",
(or has a space in an argument's name)
will not work in gimp 2.10.16 or newer.
(At least not with the more recent supporting glib)
So if you like to use a script that uses a
"BROWSE" button you should stick to GIMP-2.10.14.
- Script-fu package update - 50th releaseSaturday, 05/11/2019:
Removed all deprecation warnings,
readying for GIMP 3 release :-)
- Script-fu package update - 49th releaseTuesday, 01/08/2019:
Fixed Effects > Toon-inator
And got it too come out just a WEE bit punchier :-)
- Script-fu package update - 48th releaseSaturday, 10/13/2018:
Added Effects > Thicken-Lines
It uses value-propagate to darken lines... especially useful to me in dealing with some lineart.
- Script-fu package update - 47th releaseMonday, 09/12/2018:
Updated the Effects -> Fog script
Thanks to Ed Merced :-)
Replaced Sharpen -> Sharper -> High Pass Sharpen
with the better-working code from Contrast -> High Pass
- Script-fu package update - 46th releaseMonday, 09/03/2018:
Updated the Edges > Picture Frame script
Added/updated 210_arrow_draw.py to the script package so folks can find it.
- Script-fu package update - 45th releaseSaturday, 08/27/2018:
Updated/tested for GIMP-2.10.6,
2 scripts added ("add-pointer" and "color-xpro".) Settings changed to make usage more obvious on "contrast_high-pass". Last testing date updated within scripts.
- Script-fu package update - 44th releaseSaturday, 08/18/2018:
Updated for GIMP-2.10.4,
Error correction for latest API. 41 scripts corrected, 3 deleted. Thanks to Eddie for the heads-up!
- Fixed calendar.scmSaturday, 05/19/2018:
The calendar year script was throwing error
Layer cannot be lowered...
This was fixed and script downloads have been updated.
- Updating scripts for GIMP-2.10Tuesday, 05/08/2018:
Scripts have beeb updated.
I am renaming all the scripts (to be prefaced with "210", as well as renaming the registered procedure in each script. This should avoid conflict within the gimp if any old stuff is left lingering around.
- New Arrow Draw ScriptSaturday, 10/24/2015
Much simpler, more effective script for generating arows when annotating images. FINALLY I have one that works with a reasonable amount of time and effort. Removed old 210_arrow.scm script.
Arrow Draw script
- Script-fu package update - 42nd releaseTuesday, 09/29/2015:
Updated for GIMP-2.8.14,
a few additions, a few tweaks.
- Script-fu PagesWednesday, 02/12/2014
While updating the gimp scripts and retesting on 2.8.10, I have finally made real headway in creating individual pages and download links for each and every script, with example images and screenshots of dialogs.
Why can't I save anything as a JPG??!!
- After all these years, and all the great things so many of us users have said about the GIMP, you'd think the developers would not do anything so BONE-HEADED as to make simply saving a file as a JPG so difficult and counter-intuitive. But somehow, they managed. So without further ado -- the how-to I never thought I'd have to write...
How to save your picture as a JPG in GIMP-2.8
And here's a little script-fu to save you some time:
Save as JPG script-fu
- gimp.org help section was downMonday, 10/17/2011:
It won't cost me anything extra to mirror the help download and pages, so I will continue to make them available from this site. See http://www.gimp.org/docs/ for the official GIMP help pages as well as alternate languages.
The English help download available here:
To view online:
GIMP Help Manual (English, local mirror)
- Added Star BrushesWednesday, 11/03/2010:
Wanted stars for making election-button clip art, could not find anything small and crisp, so I made a few more brushes.
- New BrushesMonday, 01/18/2010:
Hand Pointer Brushes
Simple but often useful, transparent (so you can use them on colored stock) and pointing in eight (8) directions (up, down, left, right, NE, NW, SW, SE)
hand pointer brushes
- Added Button Arrow brushesMonday, 09/21/2009:
Pack of 24 brushes
circular buttons in 6 colors
smooth, trasparent edges
white outlined arrow inside each:
up, down, left, right.
- Added Action Arrows brushesThursday, 08/06/2009:
Pack of 10 brushes, just a nice large and colorful arrow that could ber useful in documents/flyers. Will also available as PNG images from WPClipart in the signs_symbol/arrows section very shortly.
- Added Black Gloss Arrow brushesThursday, 02/12/2009:
Pack of 16 brushes, fairly large at about 200 pixels -- but they are very crisp and scale well if you need them smaller. Originals were SVG from OpenClipart by user "rg1024", also available as PNG images from WPClipart in the signs_symbol/arrows section.
- More Arrow BrushesFriday, 12/12/2008: Added 16 color arrows and have now broken the BW/color downloads into 4 packages. Two BW and two color. Also wrote better install instructions and put in a proper (GPL3) license -- a fellow GIMP user asked the developers if the arrows could be incorporated into the GIMP, and they responded that the licensing was unclear. So I am trying to accommodate. Would be neat if they became standard in the GIMP.
You may have noticed some SCRIPT-FUs (a lot) no longer work when you upgrade the GIMP.
Moving from 2.2 to 2.4, the scripting engine itself was changed. And of course, with each
GIMP update some of the underlying programming calls and parameters are changed. This is
a normal process in software development. I spent some time getting
my favorites back into working shape (I'm not the original author of most of these..)
In Oct '07 I posted 26 scripts, but they have been increasing in number and refinement with every release. I also continue to update deprecated code, tweak to make sure they are only "active" for the image mode they are appropriate for, fix little glitches like leaving undo steps unaccounted for, etc.
I update these as often as needed, when I can and I compressed them into both a zip and bz2-ed package (same, just compressed different) for folks to download. (No installer or anything, just plop them into your GIMP scripts folder.)
Freetype plugin (used to angle/stretch text into images) is reported missing in the Windows
2.4.3 version of the GIMP. Happily, PhotoComiX over on DeviantART compiled it and put it
in a download at:
Includes usage tutorials in both English and Italian. Flatteringly, the tutorial from this site freetype plugin usage is included as a PDF.
- Printing - For Linux users, get the gutenprint package rather than the old gimp-print, if that's what you were using. You will need it. (It is nicer anyway. :)
- Scripts and brushes are keeping my free time very occupied. I am not sure whether to focus more on the scripts (with individual download, link and description pages) or go back to working on tutorials, mentioned below.
- Trying to find the time to make better video demos. These will be AVI files (instead of flash) and include labels inside the videos for the step-by-step. I have already tested this (using ffmpeg and imagemagick and xvidcap) and it is MUCH better than what I have so far. Just very time-consuming. I'll get to it, just don't know how soon.